Thursday, March 31, 2011

Can Smelling Certain Scents Help You Lose Weight?

Scentsy has so many delicious smelling scents. In my environments, I have avoided "food" scents because of my fear that smelling them will make me want to eat (and I'm already a bit of a fat cat). The Corner Cafe scents, in particular, smell just like the real deal. One night while I was making wax samples of Blueberry Cheesecake, my daughter ran into the kitchen and said, "Whatever you're making, I want some of it to eat!"


According to Alan Hirsch of The Smell & Taste Treatment and Research Foundation, strong scents and flavors can suppress hunger and appetite. In Dr. Hirsch's research, individuals were instructed to sprinkle scent enhancers on their meals. The scent enhancers were either savory or sweet smelling. Each month, the scents were changed so that the individuals would not become immune to the effects. Interestingly, the average weight loss over a 6 month period was around 30 pounds!

Now, let me say that I have not evaluated this research critically. However, I am intrigued about this idea. What if smelling Blueberry Cheesecake or Cinnamon Vanilla could suppress my appetite? That would be SWEET! What do you think?

1 comment: